I suggest you ...

Have respect for others

I'm someone that loves to help people that doesn't hold faith in a god. I don't really like being inundated with religion. Had Habitat for Humanity been a more secular group I'd have remained with you guys, but the constant inclusion of god and prayer has led me to drop this cause because it is not respectful to those that don't hold the same faith as you. I am but one person, but I've always been vocal of my opinions, others are not as vocal. I assure you that your non-secular way of conducting business is pushing people away; it no doubt draws some in, but you ARE forcing an exclusion, one which will grow with time.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kyle shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    AdminShare.Habitat (Share.Habitat, Share.Habitat) responded  · 

Thank you so much for your input. We always value the opinion of our supporters.

Though we were founded as and continue to be a Christian organization, we respect those not of our faith and invite them to participate with us, as employees, volunteers, donors or homeowner partners. We have built houses with homeowner partners of many different religions. We value our partnerships with people of all religions, as well as with those who embrace no religion. We certainly recognize that compassion and good works are not exclusively Christian virtues.

A key principle for Habitat for Humanity is what our founder, Millard Fuller, called “The Theology of the Hammer.” This concept holds that people of good will can lay aside their differences (religious, political, cultural, etc.) and pick up hammers to build in partnership with people in need, acting out of our common humane impulses. We have seen this diverse partnership work out beautifully again and again. Well over 800,000 families in over 70 countries now live in simple, decent, affordable houses built by these partnerships. We invite you to visit the “About Us” section of our website – www.habitat.org – for more information on the history of Habitat for Humanity.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminShare.Habitat (Share.Habitat, Share.Habitat) commented  · 

Though we were founded as, and continue to be, a Christian organization, we respect those not of our faith and invite them to participate with us, as employees, volunteers, donors or homeowner partners. We have built houses with homeowner partners of many different religions. We value our partnerships with people of all religions, as well as with those who embrace no religion. We certainly recognize that compassion and good works are not exclusively Christian virtues.

A key principle for Habitat for Humanity is what our founder, Millard Fuller, called "The Theology of the Hammer." This concept holds that people of good will can lay aside their differences (religious, political, cultural, etc.) and pick up hammers to build in partnership with people in need, acting out of our common humane impulses. We have seen this diverse partnership work out beautifully again and again. Well over 800,000 families in over 70 countries now live in simple, decent, affordable houses built by these partnerships. We invite you to visit the “About Us” section of our website – www.habitat.org – for more information on the history of Habitat for Humanity.

Feedback and Knowledge Base